EON have announced that Bond 22 will be released on May 2nd 2008, ending speculation that they were going for a 45th Anniversary “007 in 2007” follow up to Casino Royale. The release will, however, be in the month of Fleming’s centenary.
It didn’t used to take so long for the next film to come out. Although 2 years is a big improvement on the 4 preceding Casino Royale or even the 3 preceding Die Another Day, the first four films were released a year apart.
- Bond 22 will star Daniel Craig (it is rumoured the pre-title sequence follows directly from Casino Royale and has already been shot).
- It will be based on an original idea by producer Michael Wilson, who hasn’t been involved in writing since Licence to Kill.
- It is rumoured that Neil Purvis and Robert Wade, who worked on the the last four Bond movies as well as Johnny English won’t be back. Hurrah.
- Nothing further has been confirmed about the possibility of Tom Stoppard working on the screenplay for Bond 22.
- Notting Hill director Roger Michell is rumoured to be directing.
There is also a rumour that the film will be titled Risico. This is one of the five unused Fleming short story titles along with The Hildebrand Rarity, Quantum of Solace, The Property of a Lady and 007 in New York. The plot from the short story Risico has already been used (in 1981’s For Your Eyes Only). Since 1989’s Licence to Kill the film’s titles have not been Fleming’s, until this year’s still to be released Casino Royale, which will use Fleming’s plot.